Fortnight2007_webb1.gif (image) [Fortnight2007_webb1.gif]

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

There was a great article in The Independent yesterday about someone travelling to Australia the green way. Barbara Haddrill doesn't want to fly because it's so environmentally damaging, so she is making it her mission to travel from the UK to Brisbane by coach, train and boat. Luckily she's got a few free weeks to make the trip. Rob, you can come back to the UK now. What are you waiting for?

The article (which you need to read quickly because you have to pay after three days) arose from her blog which she'd only started earlier this month. This obviously totally impressed and excited me. Now all I need to do is think of something wildly exciting to blog about and hey presto, I could be in the paper too. I seem to be a bit too keen to be in a newspaper which is obviously totally sad and desperate and therefore definitely not going to happen.

Barbara also puts me to shame because while I am only about the greenness of someone feeling a bit sick with my recycling-addition, water-saving measures and trying-to-be-ethical shopping, she is Miss Green of Greenland (as someone would say ;)). When she's not trying to travel around the world without destroying it, she lives in a little caravan in a forest in the middle of Wales which doesn't have any electricity.

Maybe now would be a good time to admit that I'm flying to Malta for a week's holiday tomorrow. OK, I know I'm meant to be against planes and flying and airports and I did think long and hard about my environmental beliefs before deciding to go but I just feel that a holiday would do me good. Let's hope it does as I'm getting fed-up with the grumpy me.

I won't be moving into any electricity-free dwellings in the near future but I will be offsetting my carbon emissions by paying for some trees to be planted.

3 Comments:

At 6:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We hope that Barbara has planning permission for her probably idyllic caravan. If everyone could live just where they felt like it then the rural landscape would look somewhat different.

Interesting to hear about your Malta trip. First we knew about it!!

 
At 10:50 PM, Blogger Tinypoppet said...

ooh have fun in Malta!

And my mother would correct you slightly by saying she is being "Greener than Mrs Green from Greenland".

;)

xxx

 
At 10:51 PM, Blogger Tinypoppet said...

My mother isnt, that Barbaralady is. In case anyone was wondering.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home