Fortnight2007_webb1.gif (image) [Fortnight2007_webb1.gif]

Monday, August 21, 2006

I was half listening to the radio and half doing something on the internet earlier today when I heard that the next guest was going to be an ambulance man who's just had his book published. My ears pricked up and I started to pay close attention. You might think that it doesn't sound too interesting but the interesting thing is that he's a blogger and more importantly that his book came from his blog.

Bloggers having their books published is great news for me - someone who's spent the last fifteen or so years saying they're going to write a book but never actually managed to even write a page - because I think, "It could happen to me, I could be the next blogger with a book deal. Hurrah!". Until, that is, I learn that prior to getting the book deal around 30,000 people were reading ambulance man Tom Reynolds' blog each day. I'm not sure if I should be giving him any extra readers though as he's got more than is fair share already.

This brought me back down to earth. Where am I going to find 30,990 more readers from? I've told everybody I know about my blog.

Maybe that's the problem, maybe because everyone I know reads it, I'm not being cutting-edge or controversial enough or expressing my feelings in their rawity. (I don't think that's a word but I like it and think it should be.) I guess another problem is it's lack of single issueness. I'm not blogging about a specific topic - about my job or a campaign or the news or the environment - it's more a mish mash of things that are going on in my head at any one time. Ummm, I'll have to think about this.

Of course, probably a far simpler way to get a book published would be to actually write one. Obviously being a self-obsessed type it's got to be about me and my life so it should be quite easy. I did try and start it a few weeks ago when I was racing with H and had some time to spare (I wasn't bored, honestly). I decided to start it when I was 16 as that seemed to be about the age when my head started to get messed up but as I started to write, I just got more and more depressed as I had to think about things that I didn't want to think about. Well whoever said writing a book would be easy? As they say, no pain, no gain. But does that include the pain of my family and friends who'll be forced to read it, if I surprise everyone (most of all myself) and actually write something?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home