Fortnight2007_webb1.gif (image) [Fortnight2007_webb1.gif]

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Am at Christine and Colin's near Invercargill which is cool and this morning i went out with Colin on the 4wd motorbike to move the calves. Glenn the dog came with us too but i'm not sure about his cow-herding abilities - he did quite a good job but he seemed to waste a lot of energy barking... He is very cute though.

One of the calves was a bit slow at walking and would just about move when i walked right behind it but when it had to walk up the hill it slowed right down. Colin tried to push him but he just refused to move and lay down on the ground instead. He didn't look very well so we went back to get the trailer and Colin also found some de-worming medicine and antibiotic (which i got to draw up-always fun) and then we went and gave it to him. He looked worse when we got back and his head was all bent round but Colin went up later in the day and said he was standing up, so fingers crossed.

Yesterday was really fun on the Kiwi Experience Bottom bus. (I'm thinking about travelling around NZ with Kiwi Experience for the rest of my trip as it was soooo good. Also they pick you up from your hostel and drop you off in the evening so you don't have to carry your bag anywhere-always a good reason for picking a tour company after the ridiculously large blood bruise i have on my hip.) Anyway we saw some great scenery and went on a couple of short walks one to a lovely waterfall and one to a lighthouse. We also saw some more sealions and seals both swimming about and on the beach, one of which i only realised was there when it cried out after i almost walked right into it.

I also saw some more yellow-eyed penguins; We were all looking towards the sea so we could watch the penguins coming out of the water when i turned round to leave the beach and saw a penguin standing right in front of me. He had obviously just come out of his nest at the back of the beach and was waiting for his mate to come back.

The penguin beach was cool as it was a petrified forest from squllions of years ago. (I think about 170 million years ago). I think that was my favourite bit of the day - the rock was so cool because it looked like wood and tree stumps (because it was wood and tree stumps??!)and I reckoned its texture was like wood but no one can confirm that for me because apparently it is stone. Anyway I just can't get over how much it looks like wood. I also saw some more today on the beach near Christine's as well as loads of crabs. It's ages since I've looked under a stone and seen a whole family of crabs underneath it, umm maybe I've never looked under a stone and seen loads of crabs underneath.

Other news: have booked my ferry to Stewart Island for Saturday and the backpackers for a few days which is where I'll be over Christmas. Yay I've found an island with loads of wildlife to go and hang out on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home