Fortnight2007_webb1.gif (image) [Fortnight2007_webb1.gif]

Monday, December 03, 2007

Hello from NZ!

Somehow managed to fit all my stuff in my rucksack (although I did throw out a couple of bags of tree-matter for recycling) and I was a bit shocked when I saw the heavy tag on my luggage...20kg! Must be pretty fit though because I can actually carry it.

Was walking down the street in Christchurch earlier and did actually think for the first time, "What am I doing here?" Not in a why am I here kind of why more of a what am I going to do here way. If that makes any sense, probably not.

Anyway I'm at the youth hostel and it always makes me feel like I'm actually doing proper travelling when I stay in hostels - like I'm actually on the move and have to quickly write down everything that's happened in the day. Like how I had to declare that I'd been on farmland in the past 30 days and that I had mud on my boots. They were actually really dirty and because of that the nice man in bio security cleaned them for me. :)

I'm not really sure why it feels so different in the hostel (especially because I have to pay for internet access) but it doesn't happen to me when I'm wwoofing or staying with friends. Maybe because there isn't really much else to do in the evenings and if I'm feeling a bit lonely, the computer becomes a friendly face and companion and my blog as well.

Flying into Christchurch this afternoon was amazing, I feel in love with the country straight away - first the azure ocean and a long, long white sand beach, then snow-capped mountains with lakes and valleys, after that farmland and then coast again as we turned around over the sea to land.

While this country is undoubtedly beautiful, I don't really have any desire to actually see it. Not on my own anyway. What I've realised with my travels so far is that I am actually quite rubbish at the travelling bit which is why I stay at the same place for looooong periods of time. So if I meet some other travelling types I might go travelling or maybe I should look at doing an organised-tour...or maybe I'll just find another nice wwoof place and hang out there for eternity. A thought, if I actually hung out with other backpackers and stayed in places they stayed, maybe I'd meet some people to hang out with. But I'm not worried. I'm going to stay with a Servas person on Wednesday - I think, just need to sort it out. And then who knows?

I'm definitely missing people a lot and when I'm missing people I write more blogs and when I'm happy and busy, I just don't have so much time. So sorry about that.

P.S. Have just realised that I haven't actually been saving any of my spell check-ed words, d'oh me. Also when I bought my phone in Adelaide I didn't actually think ahead (no change there then) as to whether my phone would work in NZ, and so, surprise, surprise, it doesn't.

P.P.S I think this is the most disjointed blog I've ever written.

P.P.P.S Am feeling pretty good though.

1 Comments:

At 1:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reply to P.P.P.S... lovely, absolutely lovely that you feel pretty good.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home