Fortnight2007_webb1.gif (image) [Fortnight2007_webb1.gif]

Monday, November 05, 2007

Awesome. On Saturday, I went horse-riding with George. We floated the horses back to Rachel's and then took the horses for a walk along the cliff. George's dog Gemma came too and ran off a few times to chase wallabies although she was very good and came back when she was called. When I saw my first wallaby, I was so excited but now I take them for granted. It just shows you how quickly you get used to things. Wallabies, kangaroos and echidnas have become just a part of life, although I still get excited about koalies.

As we were just about to take the horses on the beach, we met the guy who organised the penguin census and I felt like I know more people on KI, than anywhere else in the world. If you meet someone two or three times you feel like they're your best friend and it's easy to think that when everyone's so friendly. On a remote island like KI, you have to be pretty reliant on your neighbours, so it helps to get on with each other and there's nowhere to hide or escape to so you might as well be friendly. Or maybe I've just met the nice people.

We walked along the beach to the river at the other end but George's horse Susie, an ex-racehorse, was pretty nervous of the waves and was pretty aggitated on the beach so I had to go in the sea on Dinny to show her that they weren't scary at all. It was good for practising my horse-control and basically the coolest thing ever or, as cool as (Aussism for saying something is very good, as in Jono told me I was trendy as, which he meant as a compliment, I think but I found pretty amusing in a fill-in-the-blanks way).

On Saturday, I stayed at George's and had a few drinks... Anyone reading this might think I've suddenly turned into an alcoholic but it's so exciting for me to drink and just enjoy the evening, or not to drink and enjoy the evening. I didn't used to drink because it would make me so depressed or if I did drink, I'd drink to get drunk, to forget, to escape, to not think. Incidently, why do you think I slept all the time?

Anyway, I won at Scrabble and played the guitar. I remember D, A7 and G from when I played the guitar at primary school and I've now learnt A, C and EM. Woohoo!

2 Comments:

At 3:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

no comment on the name of the scared horse? whatevs.

 
At 8:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your first love, Mr Temple would be so pleased to hear your strumming! And sheep shearing, kangas, kaolies and a horse called Susie...whatmore could you want. xxx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home