Fortnight2007_webb1.gif (image) [Fortnight2007_webb1.gif]

Sunday, January 28, 2007

Quick question: When did Bristol City get so good?

Yes, I know I'm a rubbish fair, fair, fair weather supporter. When my dad texted me yesterday afternoon to tell me to switch on Radio Five Live, I didn't even know they were playing, let alone that the match was being broadcast on the radio. Yes, I realise it was Saturday and lots of football still happens on that day and probably if you'd pushed me, I might've remembered that it was an FA Cup weekend...but it's doubtful. Did I know Bristol City were still in the FA Cup? Pass.

You see, I've sort of forgotten about football over the past few years. In fact, it's upset me that something I was so passionate about in my teens - going to 'The Gate' (As in Ashton Gate, the City ground for those not tuned in to all matters Bristol City-related) as much as I could (I think my record was 11 matches in a season), listening to the matches on the radio, watching the goals on tv, buying the Evening Post for the match previews and reports, you get the idea.

Even when I was at Uni, I'd listen to the football round-up on the radio every Saturday but over the last ten years, I've completely lost all interest. I still listen to Five Live but whereas I would only ever listen to the sports programmes now I only ever listen to the non-sport programmes! So yesterday was exciting but it wasn't until this morning that I was really excited by my re-interest and enjoyment of football.

I got up early to make H porridge and some sandwiches for people attending the rallying day he'd organised,
which I thought was especially good of me. It's not the most environmentally-friendly thing to do but it's to help raise money for children's charity NCH, so it's not all bad. But unbeknown to me, some of his friends who were going rallying suddenly came up for a cup of tea. Aaahh! Cue huge internal panic as the sitting room was a complete mess with newspapers spread across the floor (I'm sure anyone who knows me can imagine it) but not only that, I was sitting on the sofa in a dressing gown so not smelling or loooking so sweet.

But hurrah, my early-morning stress was dissolved by the happiness of watching Bristol City (League One) on Match of the Day, which I'd videoed last night. After a few dreadful mistakes in the first half including one which led to a fourth minute goal by Middlesbrough (two leagues above in the Premier League) and another one about twenty minutes later
(well, they are still the Bristol City we all know and love), they staged a fantastic second-half come back and the 2-2 final score has earned them an FA Cup replay at Middlesbrough. Yay! Great Bristol City football on national TV and a full house at Ashton Gate. Must still be a City fan after all. Now what's their manager called again?

3 Comments:

At 4:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey hey great Bristol City-my team as well you know...p back in email land xx

 
At 5:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is there any limit to the amount of replays given? I am from America. We have 5 leagues in our system, MLS being our "Premiership" (I live in Pittsburgh, which was home to a third tier, or "USL Division Two" side). So therefore we have an FA Cup-like affair called the U.S. Open Cup. Each leg is, to my knowledge, one match. We use overtime to settle draws in the tourney, not a full replay.

Well, good luck to BC. I need to go brush up on the Coca Cola website. Seems to me Preston North End are again a threat to make it back to the Premiership. If I recall, they won the very first top-tier title way back in the day.

 
At 6:06 PM, Blogger Simba said...

Hi there (sorry for the delay in replying),
There's only one reply in a cup tie. If the first match is a draw then there's a reply at the other team's home ground. If the teams are still drawing after 90 minutes (the end of the second match: the reply) it goes to extra time (15 mins each way) and if there's still nothing between them after that, it goes to penalties.

As happened to Bristol City...and they lost! :(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home