Fortnight2007_webb1.gif (image) [Fortnight2007_webb1.gif]

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Oooh how exciting...look I've managed to put this pretty Fairtrade-advert-type-thing on my blog. How clever am I? Not really. I know it's not very difficult but seeing as I'm trying to be more positive, I have to big-up everything I do right now.

Another thing I've realised is that I was right to blame my tools, as the deeper keys on my work computer make it much easier for me to type quickly without making so many mistakes. For example, I wrote the previous blog at work (It's OK I wasn't being naughty, it was about 6pm so I was there well after the time I should have been, and I am still only a volunteer) and was amazed by how much I'd written in such a short amount of time. It really is noticeable now as I type how I make a mistake at least every other word! In fact it's very infuriating. Ggrrr. But don't worry I won't let it dampen my good mood which is caused by the fact that I haven't been sacked yet.

Work is going quite well, although the sheer volume of projects I have been given and will have to juggle is slightly scary. In fact, it's amazing how quickly your perspective can change as to what a lot of work is. I went to a meeting last week and I thought having a week to do some work was a very short time and it led to a mild panic but now, a week seems positively ages. I am definitely going to have to learn some yoga and meditation to relax me in the evenings as my mind is buzzing with everything I have to do.

My terror at having to manage people has been eased slightly by realising that the people I have to manage are super keen and capable volunteers, so just need some support and so as far as managing people goes, should be easiest type. Also, thanks to my Grandpa giving me a book about bosses, called, "How to manage your boss in a week" (!) which as well as telling you how to manage your boss (which I needed in a past job), by implication, it also tells you what a good boss should be like, and that will, of course, be me. Thanks Grandpa!

2 Comments:

At 11:41 AM, Blogger Fi said...

Hiya - had to respond to your composting comment - I compost everything that the chickens don't eat, and I don't care what the docs say! Keep it up, and you'll get your chickens one day. You can have some of mine if you want, 11 is too many!

Well done on the volunteering, every little helps, and activity is great for esteem (I know, I see it in myself) :)
Fi
xx

 
At 6:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Lucy,

I've no idea how to do this, but want to congratulate you on landing what sounds like such an ideal job (and me for finding this website!).
I spoke to you granddad this afternoon, and he was a little vague about your responsibilities ... but I'm looking forward to hearing more from Jan soon.
One of these days I'd love to get you together with Andrea's Graham - also from Leeds - who has given me a very good impression of Leeds folk ...

Meanwhile, very warm wishes for your happiness and satisfaction in the new job - and much else. With love, Joanna

 

Post a Comment

<< Home