Fortnight2007_webb1.gif (image) [Fortnight2007_webb1.gif]

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Eek, eek, eek.

Umm...nothing too bad.

Just the small issue of the arrival of a medical form in the post today. And the other small issue that I haven't actually told anyone about my cf...

It's just that I started as a volunteer and was more worried about whether I'd have the energy for two days a week and before I knew it, I was managing just fine and then B started talking about this other job and me maybe having his and even then, I thought the whole thing was pretty unlikely...

I didn't have to fill in an application form or have any sort of interview. So while I skipped round the first few hurdles I still have one to confront. Unfortunately it's a rather big hurdle.

But surely they are breaking the Disability Discrimination Act if they don't give me the job now. It does say they will seek medical advice before making a decision with regards to a person's health and whether they are fit enough to do the job...And I couldn't see my consultant saying I'm not well enough as he always thinks I'm fine, even when I try and tell him otherwise! (I'm seeing the advantages now of all his positive reviews.)

The thing that really irritates me though is that I still don't understand why it's anything to do with them (or any employer, for that matter). I mean, why should they have to know about the health of all their employees? Obviously if I couldn't work for the next six months then it wouldn't be a good idea for them to give me the job. But as long as I can do the job (here's hoping and praying and keeping my fingers and toes and legs and everything that I can cross, crossed), does it matter how many pills I take during the day or what treatment I need or how many hospital admissions I've had? It just seems all a bit Victorian. Give me a trial, see how I go, if I'm not up to it then get rid of me. At least give me a chance.

2 Comments:

At 10:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are being so positive! Well done. Go for it. The only main reason why they should ask for details is whether you will endanger the health or life others around you due to any illness. Since you won't be, then you'll be fine.

 
At 12:09 PM, Blogger Fi said...

My employers concern is more to do with the amount of time i take off - but because i declared the cf at interview, they can't have a go at me when I phone in sick. it basically covers your back as well..so may be a good idea to declare it? I agree you should be given a chance to prove yourself first esp as its part time so the chances of you being off are slim.

good luck :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home