Fortnight2007_webb1.gif (image) [Fortnight2007_webb1.gif]

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

I didn't blog yesterday as it was my first afternoon at the Beehive Fairtrade Shop. I was only there for three hours (which is a long time for me but a short time in the world of work) but was soooo exhausted afterwards. I felt like I'd been in a boxing ring all afternoon [insert any other appropriate cliche which would leave me almost passed-out-like on the sofa for the rest of the evening].

In work terms I didn't really do that much, the shop isn't exactly buzzing with customers hence the volunteer-ness of my job, but it was more than enough for me. I learnt how to use the till - scary at first but then quite fun although I did get a bit panicky that I'd charged people the wrong amount. (There was no evidence for this but, well, me and the whole responsibility thing don't really go.) I also learnt how to use a price gun (no need for hi-tech bar codes here) which, again, after a few teething problems was sooo much fun to use. You have to manually change the rubber number stamps for the different product amounts and then you just zap away.

But amidst all this excitement I was also freezing and spent the second half of the afternoon practically sitting on the heater. I couldn't understand why I was so cold as I had lots of layers on and haven't been feeling the cold recently - then I realised that I'd been standing up for most of the time. No wonder my body was so cold and tired especially as I'd had to really concentrate on learning new things.

Luckily I had a lovely long sleep to recover. Well, it was a longish sleep but one which included some of my craziest, freakiest dreams ever. Ho, hum.

2 Comments:

At 2:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you've started at Beehive. Some of the tiredness will be from all the newness, always stessful, but I bet you'll quickly become skilled. Have you got a good quality thermal vest? I really appreciate mine in these northern zones. x g

 
At 6:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Fair Trader!
Playing with a price gun-you lucky thing! Sounds almost as good as playing Father Christmas with Sam...

love p x

 

Post a Comment

<< Home