Fortnight2007_webb1.gif (image) [Fortnight2007_webb1.gif]

Thursday, March 08, 2007

Thanks everyone for your lovely comments - they made me feel much better and less alone :). After that horrendous day last Friday, I didn't think I'd be able to function at all on Saturday because I was just so exhausted from being ridiculously upset and sleeping badly, but I just about managed to do some tidying up (which was muchly needed) and have never been so happy to be able to tidy up before! And when I was less tired things didn't look so bad - less mountains, more molehills.

But this was a mega busy week, would it be too much for me? I worked half a day on Monday and immediately started feeling ill again (maybe I'm just allergic to work) but on Tuesday, I felt better and was able to go to Newcastle for the day. Although it made me realise that I was v lucky in that I was out of the house for no longer than a normal day. Job problems 1, 2 and 3 have materialised: too much travelling and too many early starts and too much out-of-hours working.

And then there's problem 4: stress. I was meant to be sleeping yesterday morning to recover from travelling and to keep me well for the busyness of this week but I woke up early because I was all agitated. When I got to work I was fine but I just get so worked up about things that I'm making myself ill. Last night I went to a meeting and half way through realised that I had ANOTHER sore throat. Cue sudden panic. "This means I'll get a chest infection tomorrow. I always get a sore throat first. I'll have to have IVs now because I finish my Cipro today for my last infection. Panic, panic, panic. Stress, stress, stress."

Both Henry and my mum are sick of me crying IV wolf. Every time I have the slightest cough I say: "I'll be in hospital tomorrow or I won't be able to do anything this weekend because I'm in hospital." And yet I never am. Why is it that whenever you think you need to go to hospital you never do but when you just absent-mindedly turn up at the clinic without a cf care in the world (OK, never going to happen but you feel that things are sort of going well), they whisk you to a bed before you've got a chance to think?

So what are the chances of me being ill today? Well, any eagle-eyed types among you might have noticed the ridiculously early hour that I'm writing this. Yep after waking up at 4.30am and failing not only to get back to sleep but not to stress either, I decided to get up. Seeing as sleep, and ample amounts of it, is vital for me to function - things are not boding well. Especially as I have to work today and this evening.

I realise that I can't go on like this and although I *hate* playing the cf disability card, I am going to have to ask my boss to make some allowances for it/me. Even though the last few weeks have been really tough, I've been pleased with my work and for, this moment at least, have confidence in my abilities, so will try and negotiate rather than just leave.

And if I need IVs? Yep, I'm still crying IV wolf. Ironically because I haven't had IVs since I've been in Leeds, I'll have to stay in hospital for a few days to start them but I'm looking on the bright side. If you'd told me six years ago (after having two courses of IVs in a month) that I wouldn't need them for this long, I wouldn't have thought it possible. I would have been ecstatic. So if I have to go to hospital, work will just have to wait (this thought is a revelation for me) and I'm trying to be optimistic and block out any thoughts that my great chest years have been wasted by depression...

3 Comments:

At 8:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hallo! Looks like the early ganit has caught the worm!

Yes mountains often dissolve into molehills and sore throats can mean just that-or a result of having to project your voice in a way you're not used to.

Try not to make assumptons-as I picked up on my course y'terday
to assume makes 'an ass out of you and me.' We never know how the world will look tommorrow.

So glad you're feeling good about the work you're doing. Miss Fiona Blog sounds like she understands. l p xxxxxxxxxxxxx Fed up with the iv wolf? of course not!love animals

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger Fi said...

No you're not alone, the wonders of the internet mena you'll never be without someone to listen! I hope things get better, I struggled for a long time with full time work / too much on my plate - it takes time and harsh reality to accept things you don't want to admit. But don't 'give up' as such - just listen to your instincts, if it means cutting your hours then so be it. I was very glad I did, when I did. And if you are as good as you say ;) they will make allowances like my boss does for me...

All the best
F

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger Simba said...

Thanks so much for your wise comments Fi, they really mean a lot to me and it's amazing to find someone who understands, although I'm a bit sad that you do! xx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home