Fortnight2007_webb1.gif (image) [Fortnight2007_webb1.gif]

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Oh My God!! I can hardly contain my excitement but that's OK 'cos, I've just got a new I-neb, which is really very exciting indeed. Not made by Apple, but so damn stylish that it could be. OK, I may be a bit sad because it's totally made my day and even possibly my week but it really is v cool. (Katie - I'm sure you'll be pleased, you always like cf-gadgetry.)

It's just soooo radics, I want to do my nebs all the time which is, umm very un-me like me to say the least. Instead of being loud and vibrating and taking forever, well about 20 minutes (or sometimes longer when the compressor has broken and I hadn't realised), it takes just a few minutes. When I tried it today at the hospital it took about five minutes but apparently the record is two!! (It depends on how deeply you breathe in, I think.)

Also, instead of being tethered like a goat twice a day while you do it, it's rechargeable so you just have to charge it every week or so and in the meantime you are free! Free to do whatever you want, except you're not that free because you have to concentrate on your breathing but it's only for an ickle bit of time which is OK.

But you are free to go to the far flung corners of the world where they may not be any electricity and you don't have to lug a big white box around with you at all times because it's teeny tiny - I've just measured it as my approximations are not so good and it's 14.5cm x 6cm. Which is the nebs bit and the compressor bit all in one. Hurrah!

This mean bit of cf technology costs about £3,000 but luckily neither I nor the hospital have to pay for it as the company who make it just give it to us. Yay! Of course, they're not that nice, they've put a chip in it which means you have to buy their expensive drugs to go in it. But I think I (or more importantly the health authority) can live with that.

So you'd think I'd be happy to get this wizardry which is quieter, quicker and more convenient and generally improves my quality of life and of course, I am, except me being me, it wasn't that simple.

The first thing I said when I saw the box was: "Umm, there's not going to be a lot more waste is there." She said there wouldn't be because it doesn't use filters but then I found out that there is a bit of waste with more water than you need in the vials. So with my eyes going wide and a look of panic on my face (yes, really), I said, "Do I throw it away?" Repeat scenario for learning that I have to throw away (gulp) syringes used for mixing (which I somehow, probably illegally, avoid using at the moment). The physio said: "Yes, I know it's wasteful. (I think she was slightly taking the mickey by now.) But such is life." To which, I replied: "Not my life."

I think she thought I was a bit weird, to say the least, as I kept stressing about this and at the end I said I'd bring my un-used filters back which she said was fine but then I panicked and said: "Um, um, but if everyone's using these now, who's going to use the filters?" She reassured me that other people using different drugs would still use them and said, "Don't worry, they'll be recycled," and patted me on the arm as if to say goodbye and good riddance you waste-saving weirdo!

So, I left the hospital all smiley with my new best friend in it's box and I'd been given strict instructions that you have to keep the box as the I-neb remains the property of the I-neb making people, but obviously I'd managed to break the box before I'd even got it into the car to take home. Whoops!

Luckily it got home in one piece and I've just realised that it's I-neb time now. Yay! I-neb's rock.

1 Comments:

At 2:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow Lucy, you're a committed green person. With people like you, the world WILL live longer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home