Fortnight2007_webb1.gif (image) [Fortnight2007_webb1.gif]

Friday, May 12, 2006

Blog therapy is definitely the way forward. I can't believe how much better I felt after writing yesterday. T'was a miracle! I also think that sunshine helps too and, of course, some large doses of sleep.

This week is Composting Awareness week and to mark the occasion, the compost bin I'd ordered a couple of months ago finally turned up this morning. It was a bit of a disappointment actually as it's just this huge bit of cylindrical black plastic, but then it does the job so I don't know what I expected.

It's pretty much illegal for people with CF to compost because of the bugs that can live there but I'm slightly obsessed with it. I'm sure (hope) if you compost properly it's OK and, of course, I will use the correct mixes of organic waste (you need both nitrogen and carbon-rich materials to make happy compost) to create non-evil-bugged compost in my new bin... And contrary to popular opinion properly composting material doesn't smell bad.

Here are my top two tips on why you should compost.
1. Organic material forms about one third of our weekly rubbish. Without composting most of this goes to landfill where is stagnates and produces methane which is very BAD for the environment.
2. As well as reducing waste, compost increase the fertility of the soil so it's easier to grow yummy vegetables and pretty flowers. Yay!

6 Comments:

At 2:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also love composting! I am still however struggling to find an effective way of doing so in the Alps and then also finding someone who might have use for a winter's worth of compost to use in the summer! Do you think a compost bin could live in a freezing cold garage without stinking too much?

Kx

 
At 6:26 PM, Blogger Simba said...

Hi Kat,
Wow! I'm so excited you are a fellow composter :)
I think being in the Alps could be a bit of a problem but maybe you just need to add some compost activators to make it work. I've heard urine is a good one! xx

 
At 9:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure Mick would take too kindly to me asking him to wee in the compost bin. He might think I am takeing things a little too far! I will investigate further though as I hate seeing all our veg waste (and there is alot of it!) going in the bin. Can compost bins be a fire hazard if they are kept indoors (well in the garage?). Mostly worried about the smell though - what (other than urine) can you put in with the compost to help with the smell?

Kx

 
At 5:01 PM, Blogger Simba said...

If you have a 50/50 mix of green (usually moist Nitogen-rich mateials) such as fruit/veg, leaves, tea bags, and brown (usually dry Carbon-rich materials) such as evergreen needles (Hurrah! You might have access to these), straw, hair, cardboard/paper and sawdust then your compost bin shouldn't smell.

You will need to put your compost bin in as warm a place as possible for the materials to decompose so you could put an old carpet around it in your garage. I doubt it would be a fire hazard but will research futher.

You still might have problems actually composting in such coldness. Other activators apart from wee are grass, nettles, pond weed, seaweed, comfry, horse, cow, sheep, pig and pigeon manure and rabbit or guinea pig droppings! But I'm not sure where you are going to find these in the Alps...

 
At 12:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like the idea of it but not sure that it would be successfull. Given that we broke our washing machine last year because it was so cold that all of the pipes inside it froze I doubt that even wrapping the bin in carpet would be enough to make it do its stuff! Sometimes it can be about -15 in the garage or even colder!

Worried that our green stuff might outway the brown stuff as well (btw I never realised you could put card and paper in your compost!)as we do create a lot of peelings!

Perhaps a small scale experiment is in order....

Kx

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger Simba said...

I can't find that much info about composting in mountains... but just when I thought there was no hope I found that composting CAN be done in severe freezing temperatures. Hurrah!

Check out: http://whatcom.wsu.edu/ag/compost/
fundamentals/needs_climatic.htm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home