Fortnight2007_webb1.gif (image) [Fortnight2007_webb1.gif]

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

I think I've been spending too much time at college recently, or at least reading too many pretentious postmodern art books as I decided that my one sentence blog yesterday was "pushing the boundaries of blogging".

Then I thought that maybe I could just print out my blog (concerning for people like my mum who don't appreciate modern art) and hand it in as my final project as a piece of conceptual art. Actually maybe it should be concerning for me, as I might fail the course.

If you're not a fan of modern art and think anyone can do it and it's impossible to fail, you're wrong. Today we learnt about the YBA (Young British Artists) and how Gavin Turk's MA show at London's Royal College of Art consisted of one work, Cave, an English Heritage-style blue plaque in an empty room. The plaque read "Borough of Kensington, Gavin Turk, Sculptor, Worked Here 1989-1991". I like it but maybe he could have done some other work too, which of course, defeats the point... Anyway, he didn't receive his Masters, but then that hasn't stopped him.

Most of our group were pretty scornful of what we saw as Damien Hirst's and some of the other YBA's lack of traditional artistic ability. Then again, it did give us all hope.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home