Fortnight2007_webb1.gif (image) [Fortnight2007_webb1.gif]

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Today I finally received my prescription from Holland which I have been desperate for. Everyday for the past two weeks or so, I have been eagerly awaiting the postman's arrival and everyday been disappointed. So you'd think that I'd be wildly ecstatic today, but, me being me, it's not that simple.

At the beginning of March, I went to Holland to see if a holistic doctor could find out why I am so exhausted all the time, as my CF team say all their tests come back fine and there's nothing wrong with me. They say it's caused by my depression which is complete rubbish because even when I was really depressed I was never that tired.

Anyway, I'd been doing loads of research with the help of my friend Emmie and decided I had hypothyroidism as it causes extreme fatigue and loads of other symptoms including low body temperature. (My average morning temp is 36.1 degrees Celsius.)

And guess what? I was right. The results from Holland showed that my T3 levels were low as was my T3/T4 ratio (T3 and T4 are thyroid hormones). This was the best news I'd heard in ages because I KNEW there was something wrong with me. Although I'd had my thyroid tested in Leeds, there's a lot of criticism of the current UK policy on thyroid testing and a petition has just been sent to Tony Blair calling on him to improve it. (For info check out Thyroid UK or Thyroid Patient Advocacy Group)

The irony is, if the Dutch doctor had been more efficient I would probably already have already started taking the hormone supplement and would've thought that the new full-of-energy-me was due to this. So now my question is, what's made me feel better? Because again, I am having a highly productive day (for me, anyway).

So, is it blog therapy? My very relaxing Easter holidays made even longer by missing college at the end of last term? The zinc tablets or cod liver oil I've just started taking? The sun finally coming out? Or something else...? A miracle?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home