Fortnight2007_webb1.gif (image) [Fortnight2007_webb1.gif]

Sunday, May 28, 2006

As I put a letter into a re-used envelope yesterday and sealed it up with copious amounts of sticky tape, it occurred to me that maybe I wasn't doing the greenest thing.

I think it's generally accepted (which means that I think it's a good idea) to recycle jiffy bags and A4 envelopes but what about little envelopes, where you might end up with just as much Sellotape as paper?

When I started writing this, I thought I should do some research into sticky tape, (Oh how much less-informed we'd be without the internet...) and guess what? It turns out that a roll of the original Sellotape is made from cellulose film which is biodegradable and so can be put on your compost bin. (Source: WWF's online shop so it must be true.) Most of the other stuff is acrylic and therefore BAD for the environment. Umm, which actually happens to be the type I currently have...

So this is all good news for Sellotape addicts. I have seriously been feeling bad about all the Sellotape (well sticky tape, which IS bad) and glue I've been using to make my contextual journal for college. (Do you think that maybe I make my life a bit harder than it needs to be..?)

But more good news, I've also found out that I haven't been wrecking the planet with the large amount of Pritt Stick I've been using as it turns out that Pritt products are made from palm oil and are non-toxic and biodegradable. Hurrah!

I guess a certain engineer who's not around today would say you should include the different chemicals and amounts of energy that are used to create the paper, sticky tape and Sellotape to get a proper answer.

So, the question is: Should I now throw my sticky tape away or would that be a waste considering the energy that's gone into making it?

Answers on a postcard please...

1 Comments:

At 10:25 PM, Blogger Simba said...

I thought you'd like this dilemma. :)
I may ask good questions but I need clever scientists like you to answer them. x

 

Post a Comment

<< Home