Fortnight2007_webb1.gif (image) [Fortnight2007_webb1.gif]

Sunday, September 30, 2007

Oh I forgot to add yesterday, galahs (of the flaming variety) and a yabby (or is it yabbie) of Yabby/Yabbie creek fame.

Today was muchly cool and I saw 54 little fairy penguins including some baby ones.
The baby ones just stay by the nests making lots of noise while waiting for their parents to come back and feed them and their parents are sooo cute waddling up the shore in their little groups and then stopping for no apparent reason and then carrying on back to their nests which are scattered all over the cliff.

I also saw loads of wallabies toady. I now know that wallabies are completely different to kangaroos in that they are very small and much more rabbit-like although soooo much better than rabbits (especially rabbits in Australia as they are wiping out the indigenous species). I went on this really cool walk along the coast as I'd heard there were wallabies along that way and expected to see one or two. I'd planned my walk carefully so I'd arrive in the late afternoon which is when wallabies come out to play but I panicked a bit when I got there because the info board said the walk would take me three hours to complete and there weren't that many daylight hours left. And you know how I like to complete walks.

However I needn't have worried as I forgot I'd been trained in the Rob and David school of hiking and so anything after the Sterling Ranges would be easy peesy. So the lesiurely walk along the coastal path and back told me only just over an hour and that was with stopping to take pics of wallabies of which there were loads. On the way up, I saw 41 and on the way down 45 and I wasn't really looking that on the way back because I didn't want to stop them from wallabying about in the late afternoon sun and felt bad about disturbing them. And I even saw a mummy wallaby with a baby wallaby in her pouch. Are they called Joeys or is that just kangaroos? Anyway that was really, really cool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home