Fortnight2007_webb1.gif (image) [Fortnight2007_webb1.gif]

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

YAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY!!!

Sorry about before, I ran out of money and quickly had to post my blog before it all disappeared. Also as I've got less time to make my blogs sound beautiful and to compose my sentences constructively (and check spelling) you'll just have to put up with a lower-standard of writing. Anyway, things are good.

After I wrote my first entry, I went out of the shed at the campsite, crossed the road and came across a beautiful white sand beach with blue sea with pine trees behind it and ever better, I had it all to myself. Then I drove (yes, me) to Cape Le Grand national park where we camped for one night. That was where Rob and I did two walks in one day thanks to us blagging a lift from an English couple after the first walk. We walked to a beautiful beach called Hellfire Bay which again had white sand, beautiful clear blue sea (which because it was on the Southern coast was pretty cold although not too cold to paddle) and no people. About half way into our walk I'd said to Rob I couldn't walk there AND back so we could either walk half-way there or we could walk there and he could walk back and come and pick me up. He, he. Anyway he said he would do this. Ahhhh he's so sweet but in the end we got a lift which meant we could walk up Frenchman Peak which has a cave at the top caused by the sea when the sea level was so much higher a long, long time ago.

That night a kangeroo with a death-wish decided to walk into the road, luckily Rob saw it in time but I'm so glad I wasn't driving as I would probably have hit it and would still be crying about it and may even have had to run away on the next flight home. When we got to the campsite it was just getting dusk but the campsite owner-type people looked at us like we were mad and said we were brave as there was a storm coming! Rob wanted to get a cabin but I said no that was boring and somehow we managed to put up the tent in about two minutes (luckily it is the quickest tent to put up ever, ever but that was our record). Rob kept saying that the tent wouldn't last but we pitched it in the corner by the fences and tied it to the car (we borrowed Rob's brother's car and left him in Kalgoorlie!) and I said it'll be fine...And it was! Hurrah!

The next day we drove to Albany via Ravensthorpe where we visited a wild flower exhibition with hundreds of flowers that had been picked from the nearby bush. That night we stayed in a backpackers hostel which was cool and the people were really friendly and I thought, yay I can do this on my own. (Don't freak out please family).

There are whales in the seas near Albany but the friendly boat-man called Paul said the whales hadn't been spotted for a while and as it was really windy we were better off driving along the shore and looking for the whales from there. We decided to do this although after about ten seconds of arriving at the whale-spotting site, I realised that I wasn't cut out for any kind of spotting activity as I just don't have the patience to look into the deep blue ocean and try and find minuscule black things which could or couldn't be whales. So instead we went for a walk along the shore and saw a black skink and I picked up loads of really cool shells including two sea shells which you can actually hear the sea in. I think these are quite common in Oz but it was so exciting to actually find them.

Apparently it always rains in Albany and the afternoon was no exception so we found a nice vegetarian cafe with an open fire and had some food and I curled up on the sofa and read National Geographic magazines. Rob's friend David joined us then and in the evening they decided we should call by the wind farm. (Why do I always hang 0ut with mechanical engineers?) But I didn't mind too much as it was also a prime whale spotting site and I scoured the sea for any signs of whales or dolphins. (This was easier because the viewing point was on a raised platform so I had a much better view. But the sea was really rough and it was freezing cold and so I was all wrapped up with a hood over my head as I was set to be for the next few days during our camping trip).

After that we went to the coolest campsite ever. It wasn't really a campsite just a few places where you could camp (with some toilets) right next to the sea so when I lay in bed I could hear the waves crashing on the beach. Another beautiful beach. That night when we started cooking our dinner, we realised we'd left our food box and the Esky (Aussie for cool box) in the hostel! Luckily we had enough food to eat for our dinner because mine and Rob's disorganisation meant that food was distributed throughout the whole car. (I never realised that Rob and I were so similar before...) That night a Bandicoot came by and tried to eat our dinner, and later on he came back and tried to eat my Creon (meds) which obviously had managed to spill out of pocket all over the ground. Does anyone else have this problem? I leave a trail of the little brown and yellow pills everywhere I go. David said to me earlier today that if he ever sees another of those pills, he'll think of me...

From there we went to Walpole to see the giant red tingle trees and then we drove up the Sterling Range mountains where we've been hanging out for the past few days. Now I'm back in Kalgoorlie although only for a few hours as we're off on the Indian-Pacific train at midnight which will take us across the plain to Adelaide where we arrive at 7.20am on Friday.

Will post from there. xxxx

1 Comments:

At 7:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi bean

Great blog, blogger.

Glad to hear you're introducing the medicinal benefits of creon to the population of bandicoots. No idea what they are but they sound sweet. (I'll google them now.)

What lush beaches and all to your self. Engineers have their uses, even untidy ones, especially if they know so many cool places.

This is from a little make-shift internet cafe in Crete. Just realised instead of 'good morning' in Greek, I've been saying 'octopus' in Spanish!! Some Ps don't change... love extra,xxxxxxxx p xxxxxxxxxxxxx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home